We live in a digital world where almost all business transactions occur online. Even the once unimaginable significant purchases like a car or motorcycle can now be completed over the Internet.
According to statistics, there are more than 2.5 million online retailers in the US alone. Where you choose to buy from depends on many things, including pricing and customer service.
However, buying a motorcycle goes a little more into detail. Whether you’re looking for new or used motorcycles for sale, there is a lot of nitty-gritty on what makes a good online motorcycle store.
Read on for a detailed guide on the best online stores for motorcycles for sale. But first, let’s see how online motorcycle stores compare with physical or offline stores.
Motorcycles for Sale Near Me: Online vs Physical Motorcycle Stores
Buying anything online or offline can be seamless if you know what to look for. Such knowledge is even more crucial when making massive purchases like buying a motorcycle.
Regardless of which way you choose—online or offline buying, there are always pros and cons to each. Below are some facts you need to know before contacting an online or physical motorcycle store.
Advantages of Buying a Motorcycle Online
- Online stores offer more shopping and buying options
- Fast and easy once you have a set budget and know what you’re looking for
- Provides the convenience of shopping from home
- Prone to fraud, especially when buying from uncertified dealers
- More likelihood of hidden costs and delivery charges
- Lack of in-person interaction limits your bargaining power
Advantages of Buying a Motorcycle from a Physical Store
- Best way to go, especially when shopping for a preowned motorcycle
- In-person interactivity means more bargaining power
- Comparing products from different stores can be tiresome and time-consuming.
- Sales are limited to specific offers
Tips for Buying a New Motorcycle for Sale Near Me
Buying a new motorcycle can be thrilling, especially if it’s your first. You can’t wait to pull that clutch and hit the road in fancy motorcycle gear. However, there are many things to consider, like the type of riding you intend to do before paying for a new bike.
Here are helpful tips and everything you need to know before paying for a new motorcycle.
Do Your Research
The market is full of hundreds of motorcycle brands to choose from. Do prior research on what brand and model you intend to buy and check on available spare parts and service stations.
The Internet is a great place to research almost everything about your dream bike before paying.
Cost of Ownership
Consider how much you’re willing to spend on a new bike. When planning your budget, incorporate other costs like insurance, motorcycle gear, and maintenance, including the cost of replacing chains, tires, oil, and more.
Know Your Options
There are various types of motorbikes available on the market today. The most common types include cruisers, touring bikes, standard, dual-purpose, and sport or street bikes. Know how and where you intend to use the bike before buying it.
For instance, riding an off-road bike on a freeway makes little sense, the same way you wouldn’t want to ride your sports bike on a gravel road. Your experience level also matters, as some bikes are easier to control on the road than others.
Find What Fits You
Bikes come in different sizes, shapes, and weights. Refrain from falling for the appearance after reviewing online images. Know the seat height and the bike weight before splashing your money on one.
Remember, unlike the vehicle, you may not be able to adjust a motorcycle saddle to match your height. Forward-leaning bikes like sports bikes may also feel uncomfortable over long-distance riding.
Unless you’re buying online, request the dealer to allow you to take the bike out on a runway for a test and see how it feels before buying.
Precautions When Buying Used Motorcycles for Sale Near Me
Buying a used motorcycle can be a daunting task for the inexperienced. There is a little more to consider than when buying a new bike. Here are the top precautions to ensure you are not buying a lemon.
Check the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
The motorcycle VIN is located at the right of the steering head. That’s usually near the frame where the front fork is mounted but may vary slightly depending on the motorcycle. Check to see if the number is not re-stamped, as is typical with stolen bikes.
Request for pictures of factory-stamped numbers and ensure they match the title numbers. The VIN should be one of the first things to check on a used motorcycle.
Check whether the bike has been quickly cleaned for sale or if a motorcycle enthusiast previously owned it. You can easily tell a hurriedly cleaned bike by looking at the tight spots where dirt accumulates more during use.
A real enthusiast will be keen on such spots, unlike a quick cleaner who hopes you don’t notice them. Be friendly to the seller and learn as much as possible regarding how they care for the bike.
Check the Frame
You’ll notice dents or cracks on the frame if the bike previously experienced a hard landing. Slide your hands over the frame as you may feel some cracks that the eye might not see outright.
Rock the bike back and forth and pay attention to any clicking sounds. Any unusual sounds may indicate the steering head bearings are worn out or loose due to a previous accident.
Check the Exhaust
Inspect the bike while it’s still cold. A warm engine starts quickly, even if the motorcycle has underlying problems with ignition. Call the owner to leave it cold so you can start it yourself and determine if the exhaust is firmly mounted.
Pay attention to how the bike roars when you start it. Loud vibration when you start the motorcycle may signify a faulty exhaust.
Other minor things to check include the condition of tires and wheels, chain, and sprocket. Pull the chain away from the rear sprocket to check the tension. It should only stretch up to half the sprocket tooth.
Also, check the condition of the fuel tank, clutch, and brakes. Of course, you should expect some wear and tear, but to a reasonable degree. Finally, take the bike on a road test and get the feel of it before paying.
Best Online Stores for Motorcycles for Sale Near Me
Buying any item from an online store offers more convenience than visiting a physical store. You save a lot of time and effort, and you can compare many products and prices from different dealers.
Unfortunately, online buying also has its cons, including imposters, which any shopper should be wary about. Still, there are many trustworthy online stores where you can buy a motorcycle.
Here are the top online stores you can be sure to get a great deal when looking to buy a motorcycle online.
|Motohunt Official Website
Motohunt has an advanced search technology that crawls the entire Internet to locate as many motorcycle listings for sale as possible.
Besides thousands of motorcycle listings, Motohunt filters the information entered to give you the most relevant feedback about the bike, including the price ranges and how the bike specs compare with competitors.
The site offers sales for both new and used motorcycles. Visit the Motohunt website and search for your dream bike within your city or estate.
eBay stocks a large inventory of both new and used motorcycles for sale. Shoppers can browse and compare thousands of different types of motorcycles available for purchase before making a buying decision.
The online store offers you an opportunity to shop from the comfort of your home and get the bike delivered to your doorstep at a fee. The shipping costs vary based on location.
Although you may not get the chance to test drive the bike after delivery, that should not worry you, as the veteran online American store offers an excellent return policy for various items they sell. However, shipping back may be a bit of a process that may call planning and patience on your part.
Amazon.com ranks top among the most popular and most preferred websites in the shopping and eCommerce category.
The online store boasts its easy-to-use interface, including recommendations based on past searches and purchases, one-click order placement and checkout, excellent consumer ratings, and a superior return policy.
The online store stocks some of the best-selling motorcycle brands, motorcycle parts, and gear from different sellers around the globe.
|Xlmoto Official Website
Xlmoto is one of the most prominent players in online motorcycle sales. The giant online retailer’s website describes itself as the world’s best online moto store.
Besides motorcycles, Xlmoto stocks a wide range of other products, including motorcycle gear and spare parts.
Xlmoto offers products from some of the industry’s leading brands like Suzuki and Yamaha, tailored for beginners and professional riders.
One common aspect across all online motorcycle buying websites is shopping convenience. You don’t need to drive around, looking and comparing types of bikes and prices. Everything is done from the comfort of your home.
Craigslist stands out in one thing—the site is divided into sectors based on states. You don’t need to worry about the costly shipping costs since you can shop from the nearest store.
As a result, there are high chances buyers can arrange to meet the seller and test drive the motorcycle before paying.
Unfortunately, the site lacks a feedback system synonymous with other top online stores like eBay and Amazon. You must thus be careful before paying for the bike, lest you risk falling for scammers and buying a stolen bike.
|Chaparral Motorsport Official Website – As captured on 1st Nov 2022
Chaparral Motorsports, also known as ChapMoto, offers online and offline sales of new and used motorcycles. The dealer has its headquarters in San Bernardino, California.
ChapMoto is an authorized Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Polaris, Can-Am, KTM, and Kymco franchise dealer. The stores’ main motorcycles include cruisers, scooters, sport bikes, motocross bikes, and quads, among other utility vehicles.
The online retailer also offers financing plans for clients seeking to buy a motorcycle. ChapMoto reviews from verified clients paint a picture of satisfied clients both on fair deals and quality bikes. Check out some of their inventory at their website chapmotors.com.
7. Cycle Trader
Cycle Trader is another giant online motorcycle store that deals in all the top bike brands, including Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, and more.
Cycle trader connects you with motorcycle sellers of your choice. The retailer has an easy-to-use website that allows you to type the model of the motorcycle you’re looking for in the search bar and get all the available results.
The site deals with both new and pre-owned motorcycles for sale. Head to cycletrader.com today and search for any bike of your choice.
8. Cycle Soup
|Cycle Soup Official Website
Cycle Soup is a leader in online sales of both new and used motorcycles. The online store partners with other dealers and even individual sellers to offer as wide a motorcycle selection range as possible.
The search is also a seamless process on their website. All you need to do is enter the motorcycle model and type and filter the thousands of results into the most relevant.
Used Motorcycles for Sale Near Me
More people want to own a motorcycle than before. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford a new bike, while others also choose to buy a used motorcycle for personal reasons.
Regardless of your reasons, buying a pre-owned bike is riskier than getting a new bike from a dealer.
It takes a high level of trustworthiness and honesty from the seller to guarantee a legit deal. Check out the dealers in used motorcycles below for a genuine sale for your upcoming purchase of a pre-owned bike.
1. Used Motorcycle Store
|Used Motorcycle Store Website
As the name suggests, the Used Motorcycle Store is an online home for bike sales from top manufacturers in the US. It’s an independently-owned motorcycle inventory that stocks more than 1,000 bike models from all motorcycle types and brands.
Some of the top motorcycle brands you’ll find at the Used Motorcycle Store include:
- Indian Motorcycle
- Moto Guzzi
Certified technicians of the Used Motorcycle Store inspect all bikes before releasing them to the market. Used Motorcycles Stores also allows you to upgrade your bike through their trade-in option.
The retailer also buys used motorcycles and refurbishes them before selling them again. Provide your bike details and see how much you can get on your bike.
2. Full Throttle
Full Throttle is a US-based online retailer that sells genuine pre-owned and new motorcycles nationwide. The online store is celebrated by many for its honesty and wide range of services to its customers.
Besides selling used motorcycles, Full Throttle also partners with major brands like Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, BMW, Ducati, Harley, Davidson, Kawasaki, Aprilia, and can-am for sales of new motorcycles.
The retailer also allows you to pre-qualify for financing, sell, or trade in your bike for another at favorable terms.
Delivery services are provided at a small fee for a new or used motorcycle purchase. Visit fullthrottlehouston.com and explore a wide range of their motorcycle collection.
3. Salvage Bid
Salvage Bid is a reputable Insurance Auto Auctions (IAA) center in the US open to dealers and the public looking to buy any salvage insurance motorcycle or car. The site offers you an excellent opportunity to purchase totaled motorcycles at lower prices.
If you’re lucky, you may buy a high-end repairable motorcycle for up to half the price or even lower. It’s also a great place to visit if you’re looking for parts for your current bike at an affordable price.
4. Oodle Marketplace
|Oodle Marketplace Official Website
Oodle Marketplace deals in used motorcycles, cars, homes for sale, and apartments for rent, among other classifieds. The site works a little differently from Full Throttle and Used Motorcycle Store as it lists products from private sellers alone. Searches are mainly based on local areas.
Although it’s a quick site to get a used motorcycle, only pay for the bike after conducting due diligence about the seller and a thorough inspection of the bike.
Harley Davidson for Sale Near Me
Harley-Davidson is a famous motorbike brand in the US that every dealer wants to be associated with. Ask any top retailer about a Harley-Davidson for sale, and they’ll be quick to point out multiple types and models of this iconic traveling American motorcycle.
Check out these top sellers of Harley motorbikes.
- Harley-Davidson: Harley Davidson’s official site should be your first stop when shopping for a Harley. Check out their latest motorcycles, dealers, and offers on some of their products, including motorcycle parts and apparel.
- Amazon: Amazon is a reputable online store with an excellent return policy and shopping convenience. You can expect to get a good deal on a Harley. The site also sells all Harley Davidson motorcycle parts and a wide range of safety gear for Harley Davidson enthusiasts.
- Auto Trader: Auto Trader is famous for car sales and spare parts but also offers great deals on select motorcycle brands, including Harley Davidson. The online store boasts an easy-to-use interface and a trustworthy reputation from thousands of visitors who visit the site.
Yamaha Bikes for Sale Near Me
According to one Consumer Report survey, Yamaha motorcycles rank top in reliability and customer satisfaction. The manufacturer offers a wide range of well-built, sharp-looking, high-performance motorcycles with enjoyable riding posture.
The bikes are also famous for their less mileage, powerful and smooth engines, excellent electronics, and secure braking systems compared to other bikes in the same segment. Below are reliable stores you can expect to get a good deal on a Yamaha motorcycle.
- Yamaha-Motor: Yamaha-Motor is the official website for the giant player in the motorcycle industry, offering a wide range of power motor products, including motorcycles, scooters, ATVs, outboard motors, Yamaha boats, and more.
The company has corporate offices in California and Georgia, the USA, and many other facilities spread across the country. Yamaha also offers financial services where buyers can pre-qualify for financing on their products.
- eBay: eBay is one of the most trusted eCommerce shops globally. You can expect to find genuine motorcycles for sale, including parts and gear from top brands like Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki. Visit their website and check out available deals on Yamaha motorcycles.
- Motorcycle.com: Motorcycles.com is a lead seller of used Yamaha motorbikes to the brand’s enthusiasts. The site buys pre-owned Yamaha bikes from verified sellers and inspects them before putting them up for sale.
A quick search of a Yamaha motorcycle from the site will yield thousands of Yamaha bike types and models.
Note: Remember to do your due diligence before buying a used bike from any dealer.
BMW Bikes for Sale Near Me
BMW is a re-known manufacturer of top-of-the-range vehicles and motorcycles. The company has its headquarters in Munich, Germany but sells its products worldwide.
BMW motorbikes feature high-end tech features, sleek design, comfortable riding ergonomics, and a solid build with sporty handling. These bikes are associated with class and offer a unique thrill, thanks to their off-road and on-road street suspension.
Check out a few reliable stores where you can buy a BMW motorcycle today.
- BMW Motorcycles: Visit bmwmotorcycles.com for deals on motorcycles and financing options, and learn more about where to get authorized BMW dealers from anywhere across the globe.
- Cycle Trader: Cycle Trader partners with BMW to offer a wide range of new and used BMW motorcycles. The dealer also connects buyers to dealers of other top motorcycle brands like Honda, Suzuki, and Harley Davidson. Visit this reputable site for all deals on BMW motorcycles.
- Motorcycle News: MCN is a genuine BMW motorcycle dealer selling new and pre-owned bikes. The site prides itself on a seamless experience on its user interface when searching for a motorcycle.
You don’t have to go through the thousands of available BMW bikes for sale on their site. Instead, make your search more specific by entering your bike type and model, postcode, and search distance, among other specifics like the bike mileage and budget range.
Dual Sport Motorcycles for Sale Near Me
Dual sport motorcycles fall into two categories—lightweight to mid-weight dual sport bikes and heavyweight dual sport motorcycles. The former features longer suspension and tires, making them ideal for off-road riding.
Heavyweight dual-sport bikes are designed to endure long-distance riding better. Below are some of the best stores to find a good dual sport motorcycle for sale.
- Amazon: Amazon stands out on reliability and its excellent return policy on all products bought from its platform. Find your dream dual sport motorcycle from today’s number one eCommerce online store.
- Motohunt: Motohunt has an advanced search technology for all types and models of motorcycles on the web. Decide on the type and dual sport motorcycle you want and enter it into the site’s search for all the relevant results.
- Cycle Trader: Cycle Trader lists more than 6,000 different types of motorcycles. You won’t lack any lightweight or adventure motorcycle model for your respective type of riding.
Honda Bikes for Sale Near Me
According to one survey, Japanese Honda bikes were found to be more reliable, with a 12% low failure rate. People also said they love Honda Bikes for their wide range of products, including durable gear, easy-to-find bike parts, and service stations.
The brand has been around since 1955, manufacturing different types of gold-standard cars and motorcycles. Visit the below stores for your next Honda motorcycle purchase.
- Powersports.honda.com: Powersports is a one-stop store that stocks all types of honda motorcycles, including cruisers, touring bikes, adventure motorcycles, scooters, sports bikes, standard bikes, Neo-sports Café, and minimoto motorcycles.
- Chaparral Motorcycles: Chap Motos stocks a wide variety of new and pre-owned Honda bikes among other leading motorcycle brands like Suzuki and Yamaha. The store is an officially authorized franchised dealer of Honda motorcycles and products.
- Covington Powersports: Covington Powersports is a dedicated store for new and pre-owned Honda Motorcycles. The dealer also sells motorcycle parts and offers financing plans to its customers.
Honda Grom for Sale Near Me
Honda Grom is a small-capacity motorcycle primarily designed for fun. The bike has a low seat and an acclaimed speed of about 56mph.
However, like other motorcycles in the Honda family, Grom has a robust and reliable engine that guarantees many years of service under proper maintenance. The bike is highly fuel-efficient at a consumption rate of a paltry 166 miles of coverage per gallon.
Due to its compact nature, some states don’t allow the Grom on a highway. Grom is generally a good starting point for inexperienced riders with little to no experience. For an excellent deal on this popular motorcycle, visit Hondas’ official website and Amazon.com for great deals on Grom parts.
Dirt Bikes for Sale Near Me
A dirt bike is your go-to motorcycle if you intend to engage in many off-road riding. A quick search on ‘used dirt bikes near me today will yield many results that are difficult to choose from.
We did the homework for you, and below are our findings on the top online stores where you can find a good dirt bike for sale.
- Amazon: Amazon is a great destination to buy a new dirt bike with minimal hassle, thanks to its easy-to-maneuver shopping platform. The site is particularly famous for selling kids’ dirt bikes. Apollo, Xpo, SYX Moto, and Razor dirt bikes are a few available options you can buy on Amazon.
- USA Dirt Bike: If you live in the US and are looking for an original US-made dirt bike at affordable prices, look no further than the USA Dirt Bike online store. Here, you’ll find low-engine capacity (50cc–125cc) dirt bikes suitable for kids and beginner riders.
Most dirt bikes here don’t cost more than $500. Popular brands at the USA Dirt Bike online store include Apollo, MotoTec, GB Moto, and SYX-Moto.
- Venom Motorsports: Many online dirt bike stores are famous for stocking kids’ motorcycles. Venom Motorsports is one of the few that offers a wide range of selection on adult motorbikes in the US and Canada.
The online store has outlets in Georgia, California, Texas, and Ottawa, Canada. However, the bikes are sold nationwide in the US and Canada. Some of their best sellers include Venom Spyx Moto, Venom MX60, Venom Thunder, and Venom XR-125. These bikes are suitable for professional youth and adult racers.
Buying a motorcycle online offers more advantages and can land you a better deal than traditional in-person dealership visits. Apart from the convenience of shopping from home, you can share hundreds of available options and offers with just a few clicks.
Unfortunately, shopping over the internet also has its fair share of cons. It’s even worse when making a significant purchase, like buying a motorcycle.
Before contacting any dealer for a motorcycle purchase—new or pre-owned, have all the relevant facts as discussed in this post on what makes a good deal.
Make it even more thorough when buying from a private seller. Besides compromising your safety on the road, a raw deal on a used motorcycle also puts you at risk of purchasing a stolen motorcycle.
Do your due diligence and verify the bike’s VIN before entering any buying negotiation.